Tuesday 18 January 2011

DEEP FRIED HELL


I can remember when being a vegetarian in Austria was like being an alien from a galaxy far far away. When you uttered the words 'ich kein fleish' you could easily imagine the chef, when told this by the equally hapless waiter, throwing down his chef's hat and heading for the exit. I remember some decidedly unimaginative meals being put in front of me in the eighties for sure, until finally we started to stay at The Enzian in Wagrain every year. The chef was prepared for his Week Of Hell and managed to come up with some inventive dishes, apart from one of his favourites which I hated,-deep fried vegetables.

So what was to be expected this week? I am after all at a new resort and in the modern age I was able to email the rep in situ and pre warn her about the weirdo about to roll into town. She was confident that the hotel would be able to cope. After all it is the 21st century. So last night following a sparse but successful fish dinner on the first,evening I was pretty confident that the gastronomic treat to be placed before me would reflect this the modern age. It was not to be. The Chef had simply caved in at the thought of his first big challenge. Now I like mushrooms, but not deep fried, and not a plate of them with nothing else besides. So while my fellow diners tucked into their spaghetti and goulash sauce, or fried meat, potatoes and a smattering of side vegetables I was sending my mushrooms back to be replaced by a cheese omelette. What a pity there were no mushrooms in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment