Monday 15 February 2010

THE BOBS OF WAR

-

Rob is a big Bob Dylan fan. I only write this because as a long time friend, I have been subjected, over the decades, to the complete works of Bob Dylan. Now I realise that Bob has his place in our music history. Not even I can deny that, but readers, I just can't stand him. There are a number of things I can't stand:

Firstly and most significantly, is his harmonica playing. Rob, when pissed, loves nothing more than a trip into the past, via photos or music. This ALWAYS means that Bob will feature somewhere. The problem with this is that the further back we go, the worse his playing of the harmonica becomes, until all we have is Bob sticking the harp in his gob and breathing in and out randomly. Using this method, sound will always come out, it's music but not as we know it Bob!

Then we have his voice, which unlike his harmonica playing has got worse as time has marched on. Now it seems, he sounds like a very breathless Tom Waits. Occasionally he sounds like a pissed, breathless Tom Waits. The sum total of all of this is that Bob is off my list of CD's I must hear/have before I die.

Of course, the most important thing is that he gives Rob pleasure but I know what I am going to buy him for Christmas, wireless headphones! That's a promise Cara.

1 comment:

  1. Poor old John! Bob have done so much good music and is a living legend!

    ReplyDelete