Tuesday 2 August 2011

DAY 2 LOUSY LIAT

Woke this morning to the sound of the early travelers turning up at the airport. I am, at the moment, reading ' A Helmet For My Pillow' by Robert Leckie, an account of one Marine's Pacific Campaign in the Second World War. In my case however, it was 'A Rucksack For Pillow'. Yes, we spent the night in Barbados airport, admittedly a far less daunting place than Okinawa Island but nevertheless fraught with unexpected twists and turns.

The excitement started just after the last Blog Entry. We made our way to the appointed departure gate for the short ride to St. Vincent. The rain continued to hammer down and the visibility was poor to say the least. Now for those with experience of Liat Airlines will know it takes a mere change in the direction of the wind to create panic and cancellation. Their planes never leave on time and the service is so laid back it makes JJ Cale look hyperactive! There was however, a break in the weather. We were herded onto the twin propeller aircraft that was to complete the first part of our journey. And there we sat until the captain informed us that due to a lightning strike at St. Vincent which disabled the runway lights, we were going nowhere. At that point Liat's Customer Care Service kicked in. In other words no-one knew what the f---was going on!

Eventually we found our bed for the night and following an evening meal that made the last airport delicacy I was forced to endure at Kuala Lumpur last spring, seem like the finest offering from a King's table. We tried to get some shut eye ready for the morning madness as we would attempt to find air transportation that 'might be available' to get us to St. Vincent.

So as I write we are back in the departure lounge. How we got here I don't know. This Liat mob would do well to take a look at the fine job Air Asia did with it's stranded customers at Kuala Lumpur. No text messages here. Not even a normal message. The staff at the check in queue would struggle to get a job sweeping shit in Fred Carno's circus. The only way we made it through is because I had my eye on an English businessman who somehow evaded the so called queue and presented himself at the desk. How he did this I am not sure but in a very loud voice I enquired how he had made it to check in. He gave me the 'zip across the mouth sign' and I understood. I, having made my point and liable to make a fuss if were denied access to check in, glanced at the check in clerk. Unspoken understanding flashed between us. If he was going, being well behind us in the queue, so was I and Trish and Charlotte. Not worth the aggro dear!

Now all we have to do is get on the plane, get to St. Vincent and get up to Rosehall. The journey's not over yet!

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading that you have arrived without too much hussle!

    ReplyDelete